What a wonderful visit to St Mary's School - Great feedback!


On Monday I set off on my bike to St Mary’s School to meet fifty-six Year 6 pupils and their teachers who had read the first chapter of The Hidden Tales of Cambridge last week. Their feedback was so positive they had asked if I would be happy to read to them the next chapter and answer any questions they might have. My Hidden Tales co-founder, Sorrel May, came with me to observe how the children responded to the new chapters and take notes of their questions.

When I arrived, Mrs Cliff and Mrs McKay debriefed us on the previous week’s Hidden Tales workshops where their children had listened to the story, pored over one of Jenny Bell’s illustrations and tried to decipher Fiona Boyd’s new alphabet. We looked at the children’s worksheets and the quality of their work was outstanding. Their understanding of the story and the way they linked together the clues from the illustration was impressive and I was delighted that they were able to decipher some of the alphabet as well.


I hope they enjoyed the reading and the question and answer session as much as I did. Their questions were excellent and I was particularly impressed at how well they listened and worked together. It was a pleasure to spend time with such an intelligent and engaging group of young people.


I promised Mrs Cliff and Mrs McKay that I would keep them informed on progress and promised to read another chapter to the children when we are closer to publication.

With the Easter Holidays around the corner, let's see if some of the children go in search of more Hidden Tales around the local museums!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to add your comments